Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Just the other day, I finished a project that was on my goal list last month, and has been in my stash for a while -- a steampunk petticoat.
This project was involved a lot of sewing detail. Each seam was sewn multiple times. I made french seams on the woven oatmeal fabric, and overstitched them with a decorative vine stitch that is pre-programed in my machine. On the tulle, I overcast stitched all of the seams, then sewed them down. I actually thought that the back side of the overcast stitch looked almost like a decorative lace, so I chose to face that side out. Thanks to my detailed finishing, and the way I made the buttonholes for the waistband tie, the petticoat is reversible. The side you see in the pictures above emphasizes the construction and inner structure, and the other side has a little contrast stitching to keep the solid fabric interesting.