Friday, February 3, 2012

Cocktail Wednesdays: Newton's Special

Newton's Special

This week's cocktail was Newton's Special, a drink from the Savoy Cocktail Book. I had been interested in trying it last week, but I was dancing at a Burns Night demo last Wednesday, and circumstances led to not being able to get together and try a new cocktail later in the week, either. Poor Scott has been working until very late at night recently. Fortunately, he's gotten to come home at a reasonable hour for the last two days.

Newton's Special

2.25 oz Brandy
0.75 oz Orange Liqueur
1 Dash Angostura Bitters

Add all ingredients to a mixing glass. Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass

The verdict: One reason I was interested in this cocktail was that I thought it would be a nice fall/winter drink, and I was right. I found the bitters rather forward in this drink, and the brandy and orange nicely balanced. We both liked it. Although it might not be a top choice, it does have the advantage of being easy to remember and to find the ingredients at a typical bar.

Bitters - Angostura and Orange

The one issue last night was that I wasn't really paying attention when I grabbed the ingredients and I accidentally made the first batch with orange bitters. It was an easy mistake to make, since we bought the Angostura brand orange bitters and the packaging is similar. I decided to add the actual Angostura bitters to the drinks as called for, and expected the drink to be extra orangey, since using orange bitters has seemed very orange-centric in the past. Interestingly, the main effect of having both bitters was a too pronounced bitters flavor, with the orange further back. The drink I made after that, which followed the recipe more closely had reduced bitters, and as a consequence, more orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment