Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dyeing and Spinning

Purple Handspun - final dye

I am finally pleased with the color of the handspun I was dying. It's not 100% what I was going for, which would have been a tad deeper and more blue, but it is still vey good.

I used additional grape Kool-Aid packets. Unfortunately, there was no blue Kool-Aid at the grocery store I went to, and the off-brand I bought turned out to be a red drink in a blue package. Fortunately, I did buy some food coloring from the baking aisle, and that turned out well. It's essentially the same kind of dye as is in the Kool-Aid. I used a whole bottle from the mixed color package, plus a few drops of green. I wonder why you can buy individual bottles of red, green, and yellow food coloring, but not blue?

Once I had dyed it, I tackled untangling it, because I had not tied it in enough places to keep the skein neat. Ply it was a five yard skein, which is just plain annoying. Next, I will be using it to knit the Peak's Island Hood, by Ysolda Teague.



I think it will be nice and warm for the upcoming Michigan winter.

Also on the handspun front, last night I got my wheel out for the first time since the move and worked on singles for a three ply yarn that I am spinning from Dragonfly Fibers hand-dyed merino silk roving that I bought at Stitches South in 2009.

Handspun singles

From this:

No comments:

Post a Comment