Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cocktail Wednesdays: Tipperary Cocktail (No. 1)

Tipperary Cocktail (No. 1)

The Tipperary Cocktail has several incarnations, with extremely wide variations.  I started out looking to confirm the ratios given on Intoxicology, and came across an entirely different cocktail, which sounded even more appealing.  Apparently, early cocktail books list one or the other, and the Savoy Cocktail Book lists both.  Apparently, I need a copy of this book as I find myself frequently using Harry Craddock's recipes.   Although I have seen different ratios for the drink listed by Craddock as Tipperary Cocktail (No. 1), I decided to first try the original recipe, which is also the easiest to make, since it calls for equal parts of all of the ingredients.  Still, I am intrigued by other ratios, and most especially by the inclusion of scotch per Erik of Savoy Stomp.

Tipperary Cocktail (No. 1)

1 oz Irish Whiskey
1 oz Green Chartreuse
1 oz Sweet Vermouth

Stir over ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

The verdict: We both liked this one.  Scott felt that it resembled something we had tried before, and I think that is because the Chartreuse is the primary flavor.  Still, it plays nicely with the Irish whiskey.  Scott says, "It's a good mix."  I found that the vermouth primarily provided sweetness, and rounded out the drink nicely.  Scott wasn't even sure he could identify the vermouth, just that there was something providing the sweetness.  I think this is a cooler weather drink, as it is warm and rich along with the herbal notes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm an online photo editor for Food and Wine.com. We're working on a blog post that features the Tipperary Cocktail and I was wondering if we could use your photo! We will provide full name photo credit and can link to your site if you'd like. Please e-mail me (danica.jorge@aexp.com) if you are interested in this opportunity! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete