Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Backyardwork

I have been pretty quiet over the last couple of weeks, but that it mostly because I have been productive. Over the next couple of posts, I will share some of the things that I have been doing.

New raised bed

Probably the biggest thing I did was work in the back yard. Scott and I have been filling our new raised beds, in preparation for our last frost date this past Sunday. Unfortunately, rain has limited our progress on that, so we haven't been able to plant yet.

Dirt delivery

We have reduced the piles of dirt and compost we had delivered by half.

Vegetable garden

During the week, I weeded the vegetable garden, the paths, and the bed just outside the gate.

Vegetable garden

Planted potatoes

I also planted heirloom Yellow Finn and German Butterball potatoes from Seed Saver Exchange in one of the beds. We had tons leftover, so I discussed with Scott an idea I had about where they could go.

Brush pile before

I don't think I've shown this before, because it was pretty embarrassing. It's the brush and compost pile area in our backyard. Unfortunately, it's also the area you see when you walk through the gate, and it wasn't contained at all. Need proof?

Brush pile before

Brush pile before

Brush pile

Fortunately, these are "before" pictures.

Lawn Bags

I removed thirteen or fourteen bags full of sticks, decomposing leaves, hunks of wood and grass clippings from this area.

Digging up the brush pile

I'm still working on the area near the stump that Scott uses for splitting wood, because I started to come across buried rocks.

Found rocks

Brush pile after

Digging up the brush pile

Still, you probably never would have guessed that there was a brick edging under there.

Planted potatoes

I planted potatoes in the part that I had totally cleared out. After planting two 12' rows of potatoes, we gave the remaining seed potatoes to a friend.

Planted potatoes

Finally, here's the current state of that area. It will only get better from here, but it's still a huge contrast!

No comments:

Post a Comment