Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cocktail Wednesdays: The Marvel Cocktail

Sorry for the delay on posting. I've been very busy ever since cracking open the cocktail shaker. I'll talk about the things I've been doing in another post.

The Marvel Cocktail

This week's cocktail was chosen in honor of the Captain America movie that opened last Friday. We got dressed up in our S.H.I.E.L.D. gear to attend the midnight showing, so you can see that this was a big deal. We loved the movie, and when 12 Bottle Bar posted the Marvel Cocktail for the same reason, I knew we had to continue the celebration by trying it. The name of this cocktail really has nothing to do with Marvel Comics, as the drink predates it, but

The Marvel Cocktail:

2.25 oz Rum
2.25 tsp Sirop de Citron (see below)
2.25 tsp Grenadine

Add all ingredients to a mixing glass
Shake with ice and strain into a chilled coupe


The original drink proportions given by the Savoy are 3/4 part rum, 1/8 part sirop de citron, and 1/8 part grenadine. The measurements above are how the 12 Bottle Bar translates it. This is kind of annoying to mix. Maybe it would have been better to make it like this: 1 part sirop de citron, 1 part grenadine and 6 parts rum. If 1 part = 1/2 oz, then that would make a 4oz drink that would fit into a large martini glass. If you want a 3oz drink, use the measurements above. Otherwise, if you don't mind a slightly smaller drink, you could do 2 tsp sirop de citron, 2 tsp grenadine and 2 oz rum. That would give you a fairly standard 2 oz of spirit plus flavorings.

Sirop de Citron
2.5 Lemons, thinly sliced
500 g Sugar

Slice the lemons and toss them in the sugar
Let stand in a non-reactive bowl for 2 to 3 days
Add the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a low simmer
Stir until any remaining sugar is dissolved
Strain the mixture through a fine sieve
Discard the solid or use them elsewhere
Optional – if syrup is too thick, thin with a little water


I am not sure what size lemons this requires, but I suspect mine were a bit small. I actually used three lemons to balance out the fact that the ones I had were considerably smaller than the typical Sunkist lemons found at most supermarkets, but I think I should have used more, since my syrup came out very thick and not as strongly flavored as perhaps it should have been. It's also only light yellow, as opposed to the deep yellow described, and the final drink color is not the same as the 12 Bottle Bar picture. Still, I liked the flavor, and I also think it will make a great lemonade, since the inclusion of the peel gives it a more sophisticated taste than the juice alone.

The verdict: Based on the drink description, I expected this to be a very rum-forward drink, but I found it to be a grenadine-forward drink. One guest even thought it tasted somewhat of cotton candy. While that would not have occurred to me, I can't disagree. I would like to try it with a darker rum and a stronger sirop de citron.

No comments:

Post a Comment