Thursday, December 9, 2010

A few articles

There are some online articles that I have found recently that I would like to share with you.

1.  Last week, a friend shared this article from Scheneier on Security about why we should close the Washington Monument.  I think this is a very good article reminding us of the objectives of terrorism and the politics of security and fear.  Let us contrast the words of FDR in his 1933 inaugural address, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself," with all of the current political statements.  Somehow, as the average American has become less and less in danger every day, we have become more fearful, or at least more willing to give in to our fears than our forefathers were.

2.  Certainly, I am not immune to unreasonable fears.  One of the articles I wanted to share is an article from Zenhabits.net about procrastination.  This article cuts to the quick of what procrastination is about for me, and offeres some suggestions for overcoming it that I think are things that I could implement.  I have been procrastinating about my job applications and also about my plans for setting up a creative side business and even just personal creative projects that would be more fulfilling than some of the things I have been doing lately.  Somehow, many of these things are overwhelming for me.  I don't know where to start, I fear failure, and I think "just a few minutes more" of whatever I am doing for instant gratification -- usually surfing the internet.

3.  Emily of The Family Tree Project wrote a lovely article about the things that have been stopping her from working on her design project.  I can definitely sympathise with how her expectations for her work are actually getting in the way of her doing the things she wants to do.  She found a way to get past the deer-in-the-headlights feeling that thoughts of not meeting certain levels of financial success provokes.  You would think I would jump out of bed every day thinking, "I can work on whatever I want today!" but I don't.  I have too many "shoulds" getting in the way.

4.  I realize that I am just a step away from all of these things falling into place.  I can really use some prompting, though.  I found The Happiness Project, which seems to have some inspiring ideas.

I guess a lot of this comes down to taking charge of your own actions and not giving into fears, whether those fears are large or small.

No comments:

Post a Comment