Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cocktail Wednesdays: Black Feather

Black Feather

Black Feather
2 oz Brandy
1 oz Dry vermouth
1/2 oz Orange Liquor
1 ds Bitters, Angostura

Stir over ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon peel.

The verdict: Scott and I both liked the Black Feather. I found it surprising how forward the orange liquor was, given the proportions. Scott felt that it had some parallels to a Rusty Nail in that it is a mellowed out version of the Grand Marnier we used, mixed with cognac, which is the base spirit of Grand Marnier in the same way that scotch is the base spirit used to make Drambuie, and the blend of the two makes a rusty nail. Personally, I note the dry vermouth as well, and I am definitely enjoying the Dolin French dry vermouth Scott picked up the last time we went to Eastern Market. Trying different things with this vermouth is one of the main reasons I selected this drink. The Angostura definitely contributes a spiciness as well. I find it interesting how similar this drink is to the Metrolpole in ingredients, and yet how different it tastes; much more orangey and spicy, less floral, but also less dry. No lemon peel garnish because I simply had no lemons.

No comments:

Post a Comment