Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Cocktail Wednesdays: The Three Ships

The Three Ships Cocktail

I chose The Three Ships for tonight's cocktail because I was looking for something using St. Germain, and I had some lovely ripe pears that I kept forgetting to eat, and I didn't want to end up losing them like the pineapple I cut into this evening that was supposed to be part of our dinner. I thought the pear might be a nice pairing for the pork roast I ended up making.

The Three Ships

2 oz Vodka
3⁄4 oz Elderflower liqueur, St. Germain
1⁄2 oz Simple syrup
3⁄4 oz Lemon juice
1 Pear, cut into chunks
1⁄8 t Nutmeg, ground

Muddle pear and nutmeg together until well mashed. Add all other ingredients and shake vigorously over ice for 30 seconds. Fine strain into an ice filled rocks glass. Garnish with a thin slice of pear dusted with ground nutmeg.

The verdict: My source described this as a fall drink, and of course the nutmeg adds that element, but the floral notes of the St. Germain and the brightness of the lemon brought it to a more versatile place in the palate. It is sweet, and has the pear flavor, but it's not a typical fruity drink, and despite the floral liqueur and added syrup, it's not a girly drink. I liked the drink and so did our guest. Scott didn't have any because his stomach was acting up. The hard thing about this drink is straining it. I ended up having to get out a big strainer with a fine mesh and pour it into a pitcher with a wide mouth before pouring it into the glasses.  If you're going to have to get out the big strainer and the pitcher anyway, that's a good reason to make a big batch, thought the shaking might be an issue.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I've just come across your blog, knitting AND cocktails? Fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete