Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cranbrook

Museum and library, with fountain by Carl Milles.
Image from BayArea.net

Yesterday, a professor of architecture at Lawrence Tech, who is also a graduate of Cranbrook Art Academy took me on a walking tour of Cranbrook.  I met the artist in residence who is in charge of the architecture project.  I saw the students' in-progress thesis projects, which were really inspiring.  I am especially excited about some of the folded and pop-up three-dimensional steel projects, as well as one made from routed wooden modules, and one curved like an upside-down ship's prow that will be clad in cedar.  I am looking forward to seeing the finished product in a few weeks.

Boy's school and observatory tower.
Image from Wikipedia
Eliel Saarinen's work is also truly inspiring.  He was the principal architect of all three campuses.  The boy's school and art academy -- except for the museum and Library -- are both in brick collegiate gothic.

View of Kingswood from the lake.
Imace from Maia C on Flickr.
The girl's school, Kingswood, is more of a Japanese-inspired Art Deco.

I didn't take any photos yesterday.  I'll have to go back for that.  In the mean time, check out the amazing professional photos on the websites of Brian Callahan and Colton Graub.

No comments:

Post a Comment