Saturday, August 27, 2011

Cocktail Wednesdays: The Jack Rose & The Bronx

I have been remiss in my cocktail update duties. I have missed a full three weeks of cocktail posts. It all started when I went out with the girls for a bit of hanging out before Scott's cousin's wedding. I got home late, and forgot to get pictures of the Manhattans we had using the Maraschino cherries I made. I was planning to make another and talk about it, but my inertia has really set in, so I had best skip it and get on with it.

The Jack Rose

Last week was The Jack Rose, which is a traditional apple brandy or applejack-based drink. There were several different recipes I considered, and the ultimate selection was based on what was available. The limes I had planned to use had turned, so we had to go with a lemon juice recipe. I ran out of grenadine as well, so that aspect was closer to some of the other recipes.

The Jack Rose:

2 oz Calvados or Applejack brandy
1 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz grenadine syrup

Shake with crushed ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

The verdict: It was rather pink, not the deeper color of the Esquire photo. It smelled rather like cleaning fluid. The taste was much better than the smell, though it was too acidic. I could detect the apple and the fruitiness of the grenadine. I think I'd like to try it with lime and a different amount of grenadine, and this may not have been the best calvados, but in this state, it isn't a drink I would choose.

The Bronx Cocktail

This week was The Bronx Cocktail, which was a major staple of prohibition, and the basis of many variations.

The Bronx Cocktail:

2 oz gin
1 oz orange juice
1/2 oz dry vermouth
1/2 oz sweet vermouth

Stir over cracked ice, strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

The verdict: The vermouth was the main flavor of the Bronx, and neither Scott nor I are big fans of vermouth. Given the proportions, it doesn't seem that it should be so strong on the vermouth. I am interested to try this with a gin with a stronger flavor profile, and fresh orange juice. That just might do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment