Sunday, December 4, 2011
Flooding: Update 8 - One step forward, two steps back
This week, we finished the new walls in our basement and I finished painting the walls.
Above, you can see the new entrance to our storage room, which will have double bi-fold doors.
This is the new linen closet located where the old door to the storage area used to be. I've painted it the same dark color as the lower part of the wall, and I think it will be lovely once we put the white shelves in. Of course, it will get a door, too.
I finished the paint all around both main the room and the hallways. We thought that meant that all we have left is staining the bar, installing the floor, the moldings, and the doors.
The first problem arose when we went to double-check that no flood water seeped into the bar. We planned to pull the back off and deal with it from there, but what we found made that impossible.
It was impossible to simply pull the oak veneer plywood off the back of the bar. We found that the bar had been constructed by liquid-nailing the oak plywood to particle board. We couldn't simply remove it without destroying it. Additionally, the particle board had soaked up the water, and on the back side, the particle board had been applied over a layer of drywall, which had also been soaked.
That meant we have to rip our the entire thing, including the cabinets and back wall.
The only thing we might be able to salvage is the upper counter.
The second bad news had no photo associated with it, but it may be more dire. On Wednesday, I found small puddle on the floor of the storage room. We believe that the rain seeped through the cinderblock exterior wall. That may mean that we need to excavate and waterproof from the outside. Certainly, some water has been getting in without our knowledge, since the bottom shelf of our new shelving unit in that corner was already mildewy, after only a few months of owning it.