Thursday, September 22, 2011

Kale Chips

Kale Chips

We missed last week's Cocktail Wednesday because of Scott's heavy workload. I wanted to share something else with you instead that I made last week and took to Scott's brother's housewarming party. From the bounty of our garden, I harvested kale and made chips, using a recipe from Oui Chef Network. They are lovely, thin, crispy veggies-ful chips. I had read that they were like potato chips, and therefor, at first, I found the flavor too strong, but once I started eating them the second time, I really started enjoying them. I got lots of compliments and several requests for the recipe. Even several picky anti-veggie guys liked them!

Kale Chips:

1 large bunch kale
a few glugs of extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt to taste

Preheat your oven to 300ºF, and evenly distribute the racks inside.
Wash and dry the kale, first in a salad spinner, then by laying it between layers of fresh kitchen towels or paper towels so you get it as dry as possible.
Remove its tough center rib and cut the remaining part of each leaf into manageable pieces. Toss them into a large mixing bowl with a few glugs of extra virgin olive oil and a generous sprinkling of kosher salt. (At that point it will look like the photo above.)
Bake on sheet pans in a single layer, and bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes until crispy. If you don't have enough pans or racks, you'll need to cook them in batches, but 15-20 minutes is fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment