Thursday, February 24, 2011

Crepe Sew Along 4: Underlining and cutting

Crepe and cat

Last week, I cut out underlining for the bodice and skirt pieces of my Crepe dress, and marked the right side of the interlining using dressmaker's tracing paper. I traced all of the darts and dots. Then I basted those pieces to the back side of my main fabric. I started with the bodice, taking care to position it so that the flowers weren't *ahem* inappropriately placed. I also tried to make sure that my skirt pieces lined up so that the flowers wouldn't be offset vertically, even if I couldn't really figure out how to match the pattern at the front seam, which was my goal.

basting interlining

All of the pieces needed to be hand-basted for the most accuracy, according to Gertie, so this took me a while. The basting is about 1/2" from the edge of the fabric, so when I sew the pieces together, it will be within the 5/8" seam allowance. I finished up basting and cutting the last pieces today.

The underlining, sometimes called interlining, allows the dress to be less see-through, and is also providing me with a prettier garment interior. From here on out, I treat these two layers as one piece of fabric, unlike lining, which hangs free. See Gertie's post for more information.

As you can see, Hoser seems to really like it when I sew. He decided that my Japanese cotton print was really intended to be his new cat bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment