Monday, September 17, 2012

Piping in spandex

Installing Piping

For my Black Widow costume, where I was basically replicating Scarlett Johansson's costume from Iron Man II, I needed to add piping at all of the princess seam lines. At first, I tried to make the piping before inserting it into the suit, and I found that did not work very well. This is probably partly because I didn't own a piping foot at the time, but I also found much more success when I did it a little differently, following a tutorial on how to pipe stretch fabrics.

Installing Piping

First, I cut strips of the fabric I wanted for the piping. I sewed these strips to the main fabric, exposing a width of fabric equal to the circumference of the elastic cording was using as the center of the piping.

Installing Piping

I laid the cording inside this gap and folded the seam allowances of the main fabric together.

Installing Piping

Finally, I got a glorious piping foot and sewed along the seam line at the regular seam allowance width.

Installing Piping

All of this resulted in a beautiful piped seam.

No comments:

Post a Comment