Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cocktail Wednesdays: Monkey Gland

Monkey Gland Cocktail

This week's drink was another offering from Harry's Bar in Paris, which also brought us the Sidecar. After reviewing several different recipes, and given that my homemade grenadine is as sugary as rich simple syrup, I settled on the following recipe:

The Monkey Gland

1.5 oz Gin
1.5 oz Orange Juice
1/2 tsp Absinthe
1/2 tsp Grenadine

Shake all ingredients over ice and strain.

My other recipe choice would have been to double the absinthe and grenadine, but I figured that if it didn't work out, I could add more.

The verdict: The response to this drink was really mixed, though everyone finished their glasses. I thought it was decent, somewhat fruity, with the absinthe being the primary flavor. I didn't want it sweeter or more absinthe-forward, so I thought I had made the right recipe choice, however, others disagreed. Two of our guests felt that the orange flavor was primary. Maybe they would have enjoyed more absinthe and grenadine. All three of our guests thought they liked it better as they continued to drink it, and one thought it got sweeter in that time, which made him enjoy it more. Another felt it wasn't sweet enough. The third guest simply liked it better as he got used to the taste and potency. The one who found it sweeter as time passed felt that the flavors didn't blend well. Scott felt that they blended particularly well, and it made his top 5-10 drinks. See what I mean about mixed response?

No comments:

Post a Comment