Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Cadence Socks - In Progress

Cadence Socks - In Progress

Currently, I am working on a pair of Cadence Socks, using Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino.  These have a somewhat tricky faux-cable pattern that definitely requires following along with the instructions.

It's been a bit frustrating, especially since I like to knit my socks two at a time.  The first issue I have was entirely my own fault for not really reading the instructions, but I didn't notice how many times I was supposed to knit each chart.  I was about to turn the heel and only went back to double check the pattern because I thought the leg was rather short.  That's when I found out that I should have knitted certain charts multiple times, so I had to rip back over forty rows and practically start over.  That's doubly painful when you've knit two sock you must frog rather than one.  So much for finishing these socks in June as I had hoped.

While my first issue was my own fault, my second issue is not.  I don't really like the author's method of  changing the location of the large cable crosses.  Rather than use another chart, she has you shift the sock on your needles and change the starting point of the row.  Not only is that really annoying when it comes to knitting two socks at a time, but it rather irks me that the rows are off between the two socks, especially the lack of an interim row between shaping/too many rows between shaping.  Ick.  Still, I'll probably follow the pattern this go-round.  After all, I do generally follow the Navajo weaver's practice of including an intentional mistake to keep my perfectionism in check and allow me to actually finish pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment