Now that we've gotten back to working on the basement rater than Dragon*Con costumes, we've made a considerable amount of progress that I want to share with you.
Scott has framed out the new opening to the storage room. We are relocating the door, and the new space will have a pair of bifold doors that will allow us to get things in and out easily. In the hallway where the door used to be, we will be adding a wall and closing off part of the hallway as a linen closet.
Meanwhile, I have taped and mudded the new drywall.
I also primed the whole space, including the gyp board ceiling. Although the ceiling was already white, there were many cracks and nicks that I had to repair, so I just primed the whole thing. Additionally, I'm pretty sure it was never painted originally, and there was even overspray on the soffit above the fireplace from when they painted the brick.
Here, you can see the samples I brought home in the process of narrowing down the paint color selection. We chose the scheme on the left. It's a bit dark, but not terribly so, and I think that the ultimate result will be similar in feel to this inspiration photo:
Image on Frog Hill Designs, found via Pinterest.
Here's another inspiration photo showing a bit of the two-tone effect:
Image from amazing bespoke cabinetry company Plain English Designs.
At least for now, you can see a number of things I was thinking about color-wise on a Pinterest board I created for the purpose.
Today, I painted the first coat of the lighter color over almost all of the finished walls. You can see it starting to come together.
What I don't understand is how working for much longer and getting much more painting done was nowhere near as exhausting as yesterday's ceiling painting. Holding things over my head is just not my strong suit.